Eating Through New York



We started our second day with a bit of adventure; exploring Little Italy and Chinatown. Mission: Eat our way through New York.

Little Italy looks a lot like how I remember Italy, complete with older men in beautiful suits and well-shined shoes sitting on doorsteps.

The smell of zepolli (Italian donuts) brought us in off of the street to a bakery. One simple question, "What is the best thing you make?" brought us to a culinary exploration. I tried a Lobster Roll for the first time.

EDIT: My grandmother has informed me that these are called sfogliatella, and the filling is lightly sweetened ricotta cheese. Thanks, Grandma!


{via}

Like a croissant but drier and flakier, but filled with a cream filling; not too sweet, not too thick, and literally covered in powdered sugar.

Crossing a few blocks over into Chinatown, we were greeted by crowds, and shop after shop of souvenirs, jewelry, and cheap perfume. If you even make eye contact, the shop owners call you over and start naming their price.

Feeling adventurous, I wanted to try some street cart food. I went for something that I'd never had before - Fried Fish Balls.




I like fish. I like fried. I like my food in ball format.

I did not like this.

It was rather....gelatinous.

We caught up with my wonderful cousin Caren and spent the day wandering from store to store and chatting. After dinner, we caught up in the hotel while Harrison and I prepared for yet another late night.

More like sisters than cousin-in-laws. 



Very late that evening as we were coming back to the hotel, I insisted that Harrison try a knish from a street cart. Now in my family, knish are a special treat that you pick up from your favorite deli. The best way to describe a knish is a hunk of mashed potato in a fried pastry shell. Often the square ones are better than the round ones, etc. We are very picky.

They have the square, delicious, knish at just about every street cart in New York City. Heaven in my mouth at 4am.

Comments

Popular Posts