I Feel It All Around Me

Excellent music is everywhere in this city, and available for free in the busier train stations.



This was an electric violinist, jamming out with a stand up bass and some techno tracks.

I saw a female vocalist with a backup guitar, singing heartwrenching pop songs in Spanish. She was terrific.


A younger gentleman with a serious mastery of the accordion. I felt like I was in the movie, Amelie.

Coming home tonight at 11:30pm, I heard the distant sound of bagpipes drifting from upstairs in the station. That definitely outshone the two drunk dudes playing Semisonic on their guitars.

The odd thing about Subway musicians is that people rarely clap. You can tell that the other people on the platform are listening and enjoying the music, but they are so hesitant to clap, or even smile at the musician. I make a point to clap at the end of each song; if you can't spare some change, at least spare some appreciation for the free gift that they offer to the strangers around them. Especially when their music is excellent.

Comments

Popular Posts