Top of the Rock

The neon light is being reflected off of the buildings around Times Square. Doesn't it look like an explosion?

I've been playing tourist in my new hometown!

This week I started a temp job in Rockefeller Center, which in it of itself if an experience. Such an interesting mix of corporate and tourism all in one spot.

I was able to snag some tickets to the Top of the Rock, which is an observation deck on one of the tallest buildings in New York City. The views were spectacular, especially since we went at night.



From the highest observation deck on the 70th floor, you can see New York and New Jersey in every direction. I was able to point out the general direction of my apartment in Astoria, the Verazzano Bridge I take regularly, and all of Brooklyn.


This photo doesn't do it justice, but this is Central Park. Its disorienting to see tons of massive skyscrapers that suddenly drop off for a rectangle of pitch black.

I loved seeing the city stretched out before me like a blanket. The lights seemed to pulse in the distance, and I couldn't stop thinking about how many people there are on one block at any time. They could be 40 floors up, on the sidewalk, or traveling on the subway below. What do you think is the population per cubic foot in Manhattan?

The view from up top makes it easier to understand that there are 8 million people living here.

PS - Did you feel the earthquake yesterday? I was on the 12th floor and felt the building sway. I thought I was just having a dizzy spell until the office started getting excited!

Comments

  1. Hey Brit, I was in NYC yesterday sitting in Times Square when the Earthquake took place and didn't feel a thing! Wasn't until I started getting calls from MD and checking Twitter that I realized there was an earthquake!! Beautiful views in the pic. There is this hotel in Hell's Kitchen Ink 48 that has a lounge/rooftop deck and they also have beautiful view, but drinks are expensive as hell! TTYL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts