Birthday...Shmurthday.


I have had mixed feelings about having my birthday on the road, away from my friends and family. Last year around this time I wrote a blog for Backstage, about how I had gone three birthdays, sacrificing traditional celebratory antics, to be in a show. The best birthday gift is the thrill of being on stage, and when I suddenly had no stage prospects last October, I felt a bit blue. 

One year later, and I'm yet again, performing on my birthday. Although it would have been nice to spend it with loved ones, there is no place right now I'd rather be. Technically I didn't have a show on my birthday - more days off - but tomorrow I will enjoy my belated birthday-applause. 

I spent my birthday in sunny Florida, and had dinner in a terrific-divey-Tiki-bar right on the water. We drank beer and watched the birds perch in the marina. I had some good laughs with my cast mates. My scary-number-of-a-birthday passed by painlessly. 

After all, its just a number. I felt anticipation of this birthday, like it was the first marker of truly being a grown-up person. Almost time for the 10 year high school reunion. 3 years since graduating college. I've moved out on my own. There is no excuse not to have clear goals. No excuse not to have a job. Time to start thinking a little further into the future, other than day to day. I want a family someday; its now not so inconceivable that it could happen in the next five years. 

But do we ever totally grow up? I think as long as I keep this sense of seizing adventure and opportunities alive, I'll always be young at heart. I'm not ready to grow up quite yet - at least I still look like I'm 17. :)

Comments

  1. Hooray! Happy birthday! If I had known, I would have sent you a card. (I frickin' LOVE birthdays.) That picture looks divine and having a nice waterfront seat to a fun dinner sounds like a great way to celebrate. Cheers, lady. Good luck as you continue forth into Grown Up Land! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you! It was a wonderful day, and now I have another 363 days until I have to fret about the next one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday Brittany! Glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts