I'm Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo


Our day off lead us to the Oklahoma City Zoo. This is a charming city, but I had seen the bombing memorial, so I wanted to try something new with my day. 


I took my camera to the zoo to practice my photography skills. Every time I pick up the camera, I'm reminded of how much I have to learn! The zoo was practically deserted, and some of the animals were not on display because of the unseasonably cold 40 degree weather. 

We lucked out and saw their new baby elephant, Malia! We observed her hanging out with her Mom and another female. We were lucky enough to see her playing in the dirt and making adorable little honking sounds. Shes six months old and weighs 700 pounds. That's a lot of elephant. 


Baby Chimp was also out, playing around. The mom would pick him up by his arm and just swing him onto her back. It was uncanny, the similarity between baby animals playing and human babies playing.


 This pheasant was very attentive. The nice thing about this zoo is that the viewing area is much closer to the animals than at the National Zoo. Through glass, we came inches away from cougars and apes. It was a nice way to spend a crisp, fall afternoon.

Also neat about this zoo was that they had a large exhibit dedicated to animals found in the natural habitats of Oklahoma. As much as I cooed over the baby elephant, it made me feel a little uncomfortable.  What business does an Asian elephant have living in the cold fall weather? I would much prefer if each zoo just featured local animals.

Comments

Popular Posts