Memorial



Despite the gloomy, rainy morning, I went to the site of the new 9/11 Memorial Park. Tickets are required for entry, and I had reserved my tickets on September 11th of this year (two months ago), to give you an idea of how crowded and anticipated this memorial was. Although entry is free, you still need to reserve a date and time that you will attend.

I spent more time going through security and waiting in line than I actually spent at the memorial. You feel like you are going through airport security; taking off your coats, walking through metal detectors.

The park itself is very simple. There are two large pools of water where the Twin Towers had once stood, with several levels of rushing water seemingly escaping deep within the earth. The water pools on top, and then suddenly rushes down to the next level, then pools calmly, and suddenly rushes down. Names of the victims are engraved on the perimeter of the pools.

In the middle of each pool is a powerful light that beams vertically on special occasions. I've seen pictures of the New York skyline with its new towers made of sky-lights, a nod to the iconic skyline; the effect is powerful.

I felt a little unsatisfied. The memorial is still under construction, with a museum and two new towers being opened in 2012. For now, I felt like it was an awful lot of security (although understandably so) for two large fountains.

In the gift shop, they were playing a snippet of a documentary of some people affected. I found their stories deeply personal and moving; I think the future museum will continue to add to the power of the memorial.


PS: I've had a few people tell me they had trouble viewing/commenting on my blog because of the fancy formatting. I've switched back to the HTML format because I don't want to keep anyone away from interacting with my blog! Let me know if you have trouble viewing this template.

Comments

Popular Posts