Why Aren't People Showing Up?

I've been back in the city for less than a week and have noticed a few auditioning trends:

Upwards of 350 people sign up for Chorus Calls and only 50 show up. Even at the Principle Auditions that I attended for the agency call, 30 folks on the alternate list didn't show.

It seems like every unemployed actor in the city signs up for these auditions "just in case," and only a fraction of them show up. Some people have their friends sign them up. I heard the name of a girl I know from Maryland have her name called. She is currently in a show and it would be virtually impossible for her to show up to this audition.

A bit about equity chorus call procedures; they post the list in the general office a week in advance, giving you the opportunity to sign up for an audition. Unlike the Principle Auditions, these are first come first seen, and as many as 400 folks can sign up their name. On the day of the audition, the monitor calls the names of the people on the list, in the order that they signed up. If you are not present when they call your name, you have to go to the end of the list.

I went to a regional theater's chorus call yesterday, and I was number 292 on the list. I was number 40 to get seen, so I was essentially seen within the hour. This is great for me, but where are all these other 250 women who wanted to save a spot at this audition? They could be at work, or at other appointments, but I think its more likely they wanted to sleep in.

I've also been submitting for auditions via email, and for the first time, I've been granted appointments. I'm excited to have my first pre-screened audition appointment this week, and see how the audition experience compares to an open call.

Comments

  1. Another friend in New York has said similar things about this kind of thing: "Where IS everyone???" The dynamic in Atlanta is a lot different, and I think I've been more surprised by how many extra people show up than originally thought rather than the other way around, like you are experiencing. I don't know. What gives? Good things for you, though--292 to 40 is a GREAT jump. Probably freed up the whole rest of your afternoon! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts