5 Years/5 Minutes

I just read an awesome post on The Green Room Blog, about one actress' journey to log all of her acting-related hours in one week.


She spent 44 hours in one week, auditioning, preparing, submitting, and promoting herself.


I haven't logged my weekly hours before, but I am intrigued. Although it may not be viewed as traditional "work," working for yourself towards a creative career takes quite a bit of time and energy.


I've been networking and putting myself out there more than usual, and its not as scary as I thought it would be. Through meeting up with fellow bloggers and other working actors, I've found an indispensable resource. Something as simple as asking others what their experiences have been, and how they found themselves from point A to point B. Of course no two journeys are the same, but I'm putting my marketing background to use and trying to find the best practices.


"best practice is a method or technique that has consistently shown results superior to those achieved with other means, and that is used as a benchmark." - Wikipedia


There is no handbook for become a thriving artist in New York City. Its not like a track in the medical field when going in, you have a good idea of how you'll be spending your time, and how many years it will take for you to become a doctor. 


One thing consistent with all the people I've met whose careers mirror my future goals is that they've been doing this a long time. It took them 5 - 8 years to build to where they are today, which includes having an agent, writing their own projects, finding consistent work. Success is self-defined, but what all of these fine folks have in common is that they've been at it for longer than I have, and they are in it for the long-haul. 


Someone once told me, if you won't give it five years, don't give it five minutes. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts