Shortest MBA Program Ever

I spent 17 hours of my weekend in class.
Yes, it was voluntary.

The Savvy Actor class is advertised as a "Crash Course MBA," which is centered around empowering actors to tap into their goals and effectively use business tools to get ahead in the industry.

The most powerful exercise was within the first hour of the course. Each person stands at the front of the room and says their name while the other thirty people in the room scribble down their anonymous first impressions. This is very powerful feedback, especially in the performance industry, where how you are perceived is a big part of how you get cast. A simple introduction can give a lot of information about your personality, or your "essence." Your "essence" in combination with your look contributes to the "type" of roles you are easily cast-able in. If you clearly know your type, you can better position yourself in the market to get more jobs. At the end of the day, we are products. You've got to know how best to sell that product. Or you can continue to serve tables/babysit/answer phones for the rest of your life.

I got an overwhelming response along the lines of: young, friendly, cute, secretive, sweet, intellectual, best-friend or mean-girl, soft, warm, etc. The most random response was "country-singer." Erm. Okay.

We also got feedback in a smaller group setting. Looking at each person in the group, we did a free association of the thoughts, traits, and other actors that came to mind. All of this info has been tremendously validating.

I've always wanted to play ingenue roles, to be the sweet soprano who's a little bit different. The last few years I've been confused by the "types" other people have given for me. I thought I could never possibly play Laurey in Oklahoma because I look more like I would be an "Ado Annie." There is nothing wrong about my face or body in the role of Laurey, in fact, my personality confirms the character. The problem was how I was sending out more of an "Ado Annie" head shot and package rather than a "Laurey" head shot and package.

I've been combing through my most recent head shot session and trying to find pictures that portray my most dominant character traits - Youthfulness, Warmth, with a hint of Mystery. They tell such a different story than the head shots that I have been sending out, which send a predominant message of - Strength, Confidence, and Sexiness. No wonder I keep getting called in for the Ado Annies and not the Laureys. I've been putting forward the wrong advertising.

They touched on a lot of subjects that first day, but this was the main lessons I learned: I am enough, exactly how I am! I don't need to have blond hair and blue eyes, because I am not the typical ingenue. I'm a classic - with a twist. My personality supports that look. Now I just need to be sure that everything I put out in the world representing "Brittany Baratz, the brand" instead of the most flattering vanity headshot from my photo session.

I've been brainstorming my "brand statement" so that I can sum up who I am in one short sentance. So far it is this:

"Kate Winslet and Ashley Judd's younger sister with a spoonful of Julie Andrews."

What do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts