Actor Marketing - Newsletters and Sharing Your Success

This career path involves constant rejection and judgement. Anytime I walk into an audition room, open my mouth, or post a video to YouTube I'm being judged. That's what I signed up for. People judge your talent and then see if you fit into their casting puzzle.

So why not allow yourself a healthy pat-on-the-back every now and then?

I firmly believe in letting people share in your success. Let them root for you when you book a show. Let them think its awesome that you're living out your passion. Pull some positivity into your rejection zone.

So in the spirit of adding people to my team, I started a quarterly newsletter containing little blurbs of my success. Before I sent the first one I was so nervous, the self-doubting voices whispered, "Who am I to flood my acquaintances' inboxes with my news? That's so pretentious. I'm not good enough." I felt very modest and unsure of how it would be received.

Lesson #2,132,180,732,100 of being in this business: There is no room for shyness. You are enough.

Just a little screen shot of the newsletter. To view the complete campaign or subscribe, click here!


My newsletter has been greeted with an overwhelming positive response! People want to know how I'm doing and what I'm up to. They are rooting for me. They like feeling involved in my journey. Its very easy to allow people to subscribe or unsubscribe. You give your recipients the choice; although out of 400 emails sent, I've only gotten three unsubscribers, and plenty of extra subscribes.

I use MailChimp to send my campaigns. You can send up to 12,000 emails to 2,000 subscribers each month for free. You can design your own template based on your branding theme and statement, and save it for next time. Once it's designed and saved, its all plug and play. You can update the content easily and quickly.

Its very easy to upload your address book, and tweak the fields so you can customize each email. I like to plug in everyone's first name so its less of a form letter. There are advanced field options - you could potentially send one newsletter, but several different versions depending on your relationships with the recipients.

Mail Chimp is another great, free, virtual marketing tool that any creative person can use to promote their career!


Comments

Popular Posts