Things to Do in NYC - Coney Island


I had a friend visit me from out of town last week, and it was a great excuse to hit up some touristy, NYC things that I've never seen before, like going to Coney Island.

My list of Coney Island references was pretty short: A Mitch Albom book, a Death Cab for Cutie song, a vague Boardwalk Empire image....and that's about it.

Its a very charming park at the southern tip of Brooklyn. The immediate area around Coney Island is a bit depressed. There's a strange feeling there - it was once a major attraction in the early 1900s, and now there are mostly skeletons left. Once we got into the park area, the mood lifted a bit, and it felt like any other beach boardwalk.



The rides are beautiful to look at, thought I'm not sure I'd want to take a ride. The Wonder Wheel was built in 1918, and the Cyclone is one of America's oldest operating wooden roller coasters.


I had to take a vegetarian-hiatus and try a Nathan's hot dog. It was worth it.


The beach was pretty clean, and fairly busy. I'm always surprised at how nice New York beaches are. Summer is finally here!

Comments

Popular Posts