A Mistaken Cabaret


Weekends in NYC are so great for catching up on theater!  When my friend Joe D'Angio invited me to see his one-man cabaret, I jumped at the chance.

I had seen Joe sing last May at the Cranky Cabaret, and I was impressed but his satirical song choices and comedic timing.

His show, That's Not Right...a Mistaken Cabaret, was filled with plenty of tongue-in-cheek patter songs. All his life, Joe has loved the songs that Broadway Diva's get to sing, but his agent won't let him sing them in auditions. Instead, he sings them in this cabaret. 

He gave some hilarious and strangely accurate impersonations of famous broadway divas, from Elaine Stritch's Send in the Clowns to Patti LuPone's famoulsy-poor diction.

I really enjoyed seeing how Joe put together his show; it was great inspiration for my own cabaret which remains a work in progress. He cleverly interjected his narrative with voice mails from his agent, which was a cute way to lead into the next song. 

The show was held at the Underground Lounge on 107th street. A very cosy, intimate space with cheese platters and lots of red brick. 

Congrats, Joe, on a successful cabaret! Keep your eyes peeled for his newest cabaret to be announced in the spring. 

Comments

Popular Posts