Back in the city, day 1

Being the crazy person that I am, I trekked it back up to NYC for another week of auditions.

I took the 6:15am MegaBus from Chinatown, Washington, D.C. The day already started on a bad foot. Due to the crazy ass inauguration, the regular bus stop was blocked off, the MegaBus phone number was out of service, and there I was, standing on the corner of 9th and G, pretty pissed off, thinking that it was a divine sign that I should not go to New York. Of course the bus came late, and I managed to get in a few hours of sleep.

We pull into the city, and it is snowing. As pretty as it looked from the bus window, I had my high heeled boots on, my audition bag, and my suitcase for the week with me, trekking through the nasty-ass slush and dirt. (For anyone that doesn't know this about me - I HATE SNOW. PERIOD. RE: I am the grinch). Okay - onwards.

11:15am: signing into the first audition of the day for Stiletto Entertainment, who casts the mainstage shows for Holland America Cruises. An 11:15am sign in for a 1pm audition = Number 31. I didn't sing until 2:30pm. This being a cruise line, it was non-equity, so I knew I was guaranteed to be seen. However, being non-equity, it was frustratingly disorganized, and everything ran pretty late. I waited 3 hours to sing 16 bars.

I sang my little heart out - I feel like I'm perfect for this job, but they felt otherwise. Okay, whatever. So I took all of my junk, trekked 20 blocks downtown to the second audition of the day, only to get turned away because I was too late to sign up for a decent number (I estimated that I'd have to wait another 2 hours before being seen for a show that I wasn't a great fit for anyways).

I decided to bag it all for the day, and made my way to the LIRR, and out to Long Island, where I'm staying with cousins this week. Yeesh. What a long and unrewarding day.

Tomorrow brings another non-equity audition which I'm not looking forward to. As awful as it is to wait it out at an equity audition, at least things are run smoothly, the monitor calls out your number, and the audition space is generally quiet. People are calm and talk in hushed tones. The bathrooms are clean (er).

At non-equity calls....anything goes, sometimes. Think tons of people hanging out in the hall warming up, freaking out about what to wear, what to sing, making weird noises. Think an SNL spoof on Broadway, and you aren't too far off....

Comments

  1. See, I think this is SO interesting!

    ...but then I am a gay man at heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts