Another long day

Two matinees of S.N. this morning - one at 11am and another at 1:30pm. I think both shows went well, as a cast we are finally finding our rhythm. The only glitch in the system was that the AC was broken, and the theatre must have been 90 degrees inside. It was so hot that young children and pregnant women were exiting the theater to get fresh air.....I was pretty hot too. I don't think I've sweat that much since I was living in Italy with no AC. Today was supposed "press day." I hope they came despite the heat, I think it was one of my stronger shows so far.

After the 1:30pm show I raced like a bat out of hell to DC where I was singing a concert with a University sponsored community choir. I sang a bunch of solos, including a featured piece, as well as singing with the choir on the other songs. I was so vocally tired and nervous for my performance. I managed to get by, but I just could not hit a high B-flat at the end of the last song. I took it down an octave...the rest of the choir was singing...I'm not sure anyone could tell. My voice felt like it was going to crack, and I just didn't want to risk that public embarrassment or the additional vocal stress. It was the first time in about a year that I felt like my voice would not be subservient to what I wanted/needed/commanded it to do. My highest notes and my lowest notes have checked out.

I now have until next Saturday before another S.N. showing. Thank goodness! My voice needs the rest. I have about 30 seconds of singing to do tomorrow, but after that, it is serious vocal rest time. Its a combo of over usage and allergies that are getting to me, but its nothing that a few days off can't fix.

However...I will miss my cast! We are all getting along so well. Sometimes you are in a show and it feels like a job, sometimes it feels like you've landed a whole new group of friends. This is certainly the latter. I hope I'm lucky enough to land in the same situation when I go on tour in the fall...

Comments

Popular Posts