Spanish Rice & Chickpeas

I am slowly finding the joy in cooking and feeding yourself well. (It also gives me an hour each evening to clear my mind, turn up the bad music, and dance around in my kitchen.)

Tonight I made Vegan Spanish Rice with Chickpeas.

The Rice
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 pepper, chopped (I was cleaning out my fridge - so Orange pepper it was)
1 cup of white rice
1 can of tomatoes
2 cups water
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
Some oil
Chili powder & pepper to taste

The Chickpeas
1 can chickpeas
2 cups frozen greenbeans
1 can mushrooms
1 packet Goya Sazon
Some marinade of choice (I chose Mojo)



A colorful kitchen is a happy kitchen! (And check out my hot Tomodachi knife. Its so cute!)

Heat oil in pot. Brown onion, pepper, and rice well. Add garlic and stir for another 5 minutes until folded into rice. Add water and tomatoes, spices, bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Put to low heat and cover for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


I threw my canned chickpeas in a bowl with a packet of Sazon, some Mojo, and a touch of garlic before I went to work today. Sazon is a delicious little mixture of saffron and cumin, when put on anything from meat to vegetables, it makes it taste like it came straight from a Mexican restaurant. Great success!!


Let chickpeas marinate for a few hours. Drain excess liquid. Oil pan and lightly fry chickpeas. Add in beans and mushrooms.


Leftovers for days! Feeds....7? 8? 100?

Not many auditions this week - but lots of good eating!

Comments

Popular Posts