Pantry Challenge II: Homemade Oatmeal with Bulgur


One of my favorite comfort foods is Kasha & Varnishkas, a traditional Jewish dish made with bulgur wheat (the kasha) and bow-tie pasta noodles (the varniskas), served with a thick brown gravy. I bought a box of bulgur wheat in anticipation of making K&V, but never quite got around to it.

Bulgur is just another form of cut whole wheat, similar to oats. It is a nice variation to couscous or oatmeal.

Homemade granola is super-easy to make, and a lot healthier than the store-bought variety because you can control how much sweetener you'd like to put in. I used this granola as a dumping ground for leftovers in the pantry - oatmeal, bulgur, nut mix, raisins and cranberries.

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup bulgur
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
a splash of vanilla
+ whatever dried fruits you want

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Evenly spread on cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for about 7 minutes, flip the mixture, and bake for another 5 minutes.

I ate mine with a splash of soy milk and chopped apple. Tastes like fall!

Comments

  1. I almost can't even imagine what that tastes like, but it sounds crazy good. I feel like I would fail in a pantry-clean-out contest if paired against you. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts