Big Easy and Big Eating


Seafood Gumbo from Deanie's


Seafood, seafood, and seafood. Like Forrest Gump’s friend said, we’ve got jumbo shrimp, jumbalaya shrimp, barbeque shrimp, smothered shrimp….

I am not ashamed to say that I spent most of my time in New Orleans eating! I had several bowls of Gumbo and shrimp jumbalaya. The gumbo is based in a creamy roux base, filled with assorted seafood and white rice. Jumbalaya is less of a soup and is in a tomato base, filled with spicy shrimp. I also had blackened Mahi Mahi, soft shell crabs, broiled oysters stuffed with garlic and parmesean, and the spectacularly comforting crawfish etoufe. I had so many declious meals, but did not manage to try all of the special treats of the city. Shrimp Po’Boy – I’m coming back for you one day.


Another famous New Orleans treat is the Beignet, a flaky fried donut covered, no smothered, in powdered sugar. There were two famous beignet cafes, and you bet I sampled them both.



Also popular is their Café Au Lait, seasoned with chicory, for a rich, savory, dark roasted coffee.



No longer illegal in the US, we  went out for some specialty Absinthe cocktails. I had never had it before, but had heard stories of people hallucinating on the liquor due to its high alcohol content (mine was 134% Proof). Honestly, it was akin to drinking a few regular cocktails. Nothing special – and the liquorish flavor didn’t do it for me, but it was fun to try something new. 

Comments

  1. Can't I reach through the screen and grab your food?! Yummm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh my, that looks delicious! I've always wanted to go to N.O., if no other reason but to eat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts