Growing


I woke up to the most incredible sunrise in Illinois. My sleeping mask fell off of my face in the middle of the night and this was the first thing I saw upon waking.

Instead of being cranky for waking up at 6:30am, It made me feel incredibly grateful for the blessings and opportunities in my life. A year ago I wanted nothing more than to travel and be on stage again, and my wishes were granted. I am seeing the country for a second time, working for wonderful employers, and with some very generous co-workers. My job is to show up and have feelings, to make moments, to use my voice and body to tell a story that is special to thousands of people. I am so grateful to be in a job that utilizes my trained skill-set, instead of just answering phones and checking Google Reader all day. I am connecting to thousands of people.

There are moments when I feel lonely or tired, or want to be back at home. Being on the road is an interesting challenge: you are forced to spend a lot of time with yourself without the distractions of your regular life. It becomes a very reflective period. You learn to fill time, and you acquire a new set of emotional survival skills. Its been so important to let down my guard and appreciate the small, happy moments that occur with the people around me. You savor the conversations with loved ones from home. Life on the road is hard, but can be very joyful if you appreciate the spontaneity of life and learn to let go of negative, dramatic feelings; because in the long run, they aren't conducive to anything.

I do believe I'm continuing to change and mature, even though I thought I was already at my grown-up point. I've noticed small wrinkles appearing under my eyes, but I'm happy for them in a weird way. I like looking a bit older, like my face is telling a story.

Well, this post is starting to ramble and become a little preachy, but I wanted to share with you all that I am learning to be a happier, more fulfilled person by staying grateful for the little blessings in my life, and looking at the challenges from a different angle.

Thanks for continuing to share my journey.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts