Good Girl?

Last week I combined a few DC auditions with a mini-vacation to help recharge my audition battery. My parent's house is the place I go to for asylum. Good food, a comfy bed, and unconditional love helps get me back on my feet.

My visit was about 10% audition and 90% vacation. I got to catch up with many old friends and family, and came back to New York feeling ready to hit the audition mill again.

Back in New York, I auditioned for a show that hypothetically I should be an excellent fit for: legit, old-school musicals, singing really pretty music.

After my audition, one of the auditors said, "Tell me what you usually audition with."

I started to stutter and found myself at a loss of words. Did he not like my audition? What info was he interested in knowing?

After I spit out the names of a few pieces, he said, "So you like to go for the good girl, huh?"

Yes, I suppose so. I left the room feeling kind of weird. Like our exchange had been cryptic somehow. Did he not think I should be singing the 'good girl' parts? Did he just want to know how I saw myself?

Again and again I find myself confronted with the question, "What is my type?" I know the type I enjoy the most, but I have this nagging suspicion that it isn't how other people categorize me.

Should I even have to categorize myself? Why define and limit?

Hopefully the workshop I'm taking next weekend will help me demystify this typing process. I will stand up in a classroom, and get thirty first impressions of myself and my headshot.

:::just a little bit scared:::

Comments

Popular Posts