Numbers Game

Really this picture has no relevance but I though it was funny.
This week was nothing short of insane. Lets play a numbers game shall we?

In no particular order or numeric sensibility:

7 auditions: 5 random friends made while waiting in line, 4 days of waking up at 6:30am, 4 good auditions, 3 EPAs, 2 Fiddler on the Roofs, 2 Sondheim musicals, 2 times almost hit by a vehicle, 2 appointments, 2 bad auditions, 1 Chorus Call, 1 turned away, 1 Disney Experience, 1 new monologue, 1 new song, 1 high E (like, the really high one), 1 letter of intent, and 1 colossal embarrassment = 1 tired me. I did more auditions this week than I had in the last six months of 2011.


I learned quite a few things this week via my crazy audition experiment. Above all, it is most important to be well-rested, well-prepared, and well-attitude-ed. If any of those three things are lacking, I don't give my best audition, which means, I'm wasting my time. I tried out some new material this week, and now I know what works and doesn't work. I've learned the power of a good book to pass the time. Also important is to bring your food and coffee with you. No reason you should get distracted because you are hungry.

Also powerful is the concept of rest, of not overextending yourself. My worst work came on Thursday when I was mentally and physically exhausted from pushing myself to the limit. Friday morning I relaxed, and felt better equipped for Friday afternoon's audition. Treated myself to a night out with some friends at a comedy club and laughed my ass off.

Auditioning full time is not a sustainable practice. Not even sure it is a best practice. Instead of focusing my energy on projects appropriate to my skill set and resume-level, I was reaching for everything. From now on I'm going to try to more effectively use my time so I don't burn myself out. Its very easy to get caught up in the audition process and almost feel obsessed about it. I need to slow my mind down and focus on priorities!

All that said, I am DAMN proud of myself for geting through the week. Yeehaw.

Comments

Popular Posts