Making Magic...From the Kitchen Table

This is where the magic happens. 
My favorite job is working for myself. I work from home, and quite frequently. The only phone calls I answer are for me! It is a liberating feeling. The goal is to work from home/for myself 100% of the time. I'd say right now I'm at 50% and slowly getting there.

Each day I work from home I try to make some goals for myself. I may have web designing to catch up on, but the majority of the work goes into maintaining my own web presence, submitting to projects, and blogging. I might spend the day researching talent agencies and putting together mailings, or cruise casting notice boards and fill my calendar for the remaining week. Resume maintenance is another surprising time-sucker. Every time you do a new project, your resume needs to be updated across all your internet profiles.

Being a performer is easily a 40/hr a week job. Trying to fit another job into that schedule can be pretty frustrating.

Since I've been committing more to promoting myself online, I've booked a few gigs! In addition to the "Cranky Cabaret" that I booked from a submission, I have also been booked to be a spokesperson for a new medical product.

On Friday night at 9pm I got an email asking me to film some sides for what was essentially a virtual audition. I happened to be lounging in my pajamas, but I was able to dress up the upper half of my body with a suit jacket, lipstick, and some nice earrings. I did a few takes using PhotoBooth on my Mac, and emailed my video to the producer. I can't believe I booked this commercial from a self-submission! We film on Wednesday, and its exciting because I'm the only one featured in the commercial, and I have a few pages of script to memorize. This should be great footage for my reel and a nice addition to my commercial resume.

So the moral of the story is - promote yourself! Good things will follow when you put yourself out there.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts